Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Things Never Change

My mother always said that God has a sense of humor, and lately, I’m beginning to think that is true. I can’t believe I’m quoting my mother.

I am mom to a college senior, Willie. He is a joy in my life. He’s studying to have a career in criminal justice, and also plays college football. I am so incredibly proud of him.

Before Willie left for college, I remember the house was never quiet. I attended all sorts of activities that he was participating in: football, track and field, youth drama and various church activities – you name it, I was there!  Our family was always busy. And being busy means there were always additional kids at the house. I never minded because I was helping my son and could be a positive impact on his life. And let’s face it; it was nice being the cool mom!

That being said, being a parent is not always easy, and many times requires you to go with the flow, and when he left for school, I actually had to adjust to a quiet house. It wasn’t an easy transition for me. After 18 years, I was simply not accustomed to quietness. It was a big change for me, but something I learned to appreciate.

I appreciate it because although Willie doesn’t come home very often, when he does, oh my.

When he comes home my house is totally disrupted. Friends visiting. Lots of phone conversations. The TV stays on ESPN (what happened on The Good Wife by the way?).  He also brings home all his laundry.

Oh, and did I mention he also brings his new dog Nyla?  That adds a whole layer of excitement since I still have his dog Rockett who we’ve had since Willie was in 5th grade.  So when Nyla comes home, we have two dogs. 

Noise, TV, laundry, and dogs aside,  I’ve decided that it’s all worth it in the end.

Whether my house is noisy or quiet, I don’t regret the fact that my son is simply enjoying life. I feel blessed to have a son that enjoys coming home.

So my mother was right, God really does have a sense of humor. I have adjusted my life since my son was born and it looks like that will never change.

Toni Watkins is Director of Food and Nutrition Services at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas and mom to college senior Willie.

No comments:

Post a Comment