Monday, June 24, 2013

Balancing Your Marriage and Small Children

Having two sweet girls (ages 6 and 3 months) has been such a blessing to my husband and I. They keep us busy for sure. Between gymnastics, horseback riding and summertime fun for our 6-year-old and the new life of a precious baby I find myself exhausted at the end of the day and not much time left. But don’t get me wrong, I LOVE IT!

But there is one other thing in my life that is extremely important and I always want to put before our children, my marriage.  My husband and I have been married for 10 years and I am happy to say that I am more in love with him now than I was the day we got married, but that takes work and is so worth it.

Sometimes we have to get creative to spend quality time together, just the two of us.  It may be something simple and small or a night out but either way it is time alone together. It is so important to have this. Here are a few ideas on spending time with your spouse and managing small children:

•    Watch a movie or favorite show after the children go to bed.

•    Lay in bed talking, doesn’t matter about what, but communication is key to a successful marriage.

•    Do daily chores together, like cooking or yard work. It’s a little more fun when you are doing it with your spouse.

•    Date night out (Going out to eat, movies, walking around downtown).

•    Have a weekend getaway.

It doesn’t matter if it is expensive or free, all that matters is having quality time just the two of us and building our relationship. Having a balance between my marriage and our girls is the key to our successful marriage.

Stephanie Abernathy is a Mom of two in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and wife to Clint Abernathy, administrative director of business optimization and ancillary services at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Alliance.

No comments:

Post a Comment