Wednesday, March 27, 2013

45 and Pregnant


I was the lucky Mom of four great kids, finished with childbearing and enjoying my 40s.  I went back to school, became a registered nurse and was loving being a Labor and Delivery nurse.  That’s when I got the surprise of my life – 45 and Pregnant!!!

I found out on my oldest child’s 21st birthday when I took a pregnancy test to “rule it out.”  We knew the chance of miscarriage was very high, so we kept it to ourselves for some time.  All we could think about were projections of how old we would be when this baby went to kindergarten, graduated from high school, got married, etc.  We were terrified.

When we finally decided it was time to tell our children, we called our oldest first, who was away at college.  As he tells it, when we were both on the phone to talk to him at the same time, he knew it was something big.   He thought, “Fantastic, I’m getting a car!”  Imagine his shock when we told him he was getting a little brother.

The pregnancy progressed without difficulty.  I turned 46.  I actually felt better than my previous pregnancy when I had gestational diabetes.  No problem with that this time!  It was the summer of 1998, one of the hottest summers on record, baby due on August 2nd (coincidentally our 24th wedding anniversary). We thought we’d be going to Hawaii…

Our son finally arrived August 4, 1998. All our fears disappeared when we saw his little face – that’s all it took.  He is now 14 years old and in spite of the terrors of teenage years, we know he’s the best thing we never planned.  

Ever hear the saying, “Life is what happens when you are making plans”.  Sometimes it’s the curve balls in life that totally change your life for the better.  Catch the curve balls in your life!


The Dupre family continues to grow with the addition of 2 spouses and 2 grandchildren.  From left to Right: Kelly Dupre, Kevin Koller (son-in-law) Jenny Dupre Koller, Collin Dupre (grandson), Ryan Dupre(14), Mike Dupre, Jeff Dupre, Ella Dupre (granddaughter) and Jessica Dupre (daughter-in-law).


Valerie Dupre, RNC-OB, is a nursing supervisor in the High Risk OB unit at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano.

No comments:

Post a Comment