Friday, January 4, 2013

A Fitness Routine That Sticks


Happy Happy New Year! I heart new years, there is nothing like waking up January 1st and realizing you have a clean slate of a year ahead of you. Now like probably 97.999% of the country I have made many a resolution and then a few days later it’s out the window. And most of these have had something to do with getting myself into shape, whether eating better, working out, cutting out sodas, adding more greens, avoiding drive throughs and so on. Whether it has been to add something to my routine or take something away, I wanted to better myself, mostly my body. Let’s face it, you only get one body and it’s suppose to last somewhere between 60-100 years! It’s one of the only things we keep for that amount of time and it’s one of the things we abuse the most.

Well this new year I did not make a resolution that deals with my body, I kind of started that one in October. Trust me there is always room for improvement but my husband and I have a joint resolution, it’s called a BUDGET. I’ll probably write about that soon enough.

Previously I wrote how I joined a Mom’s fitness group. Well, I have been doing great! Now the first week I was 99% sure I was going to barf all over the place and then pass out in it, gross huh? But I am serious, it was hard! When I tell people about the group and how I get to take my kids and they stay in the double jogger, people tend to think it’s just a bunch of Moms going for a stroll through a park just yapping away at each other. NOT!


After about 2 weeks, I was hooked. And here’s a funny thing, I started to eat better too. I do all this hard work and burn calories, the last thing I want to do is come home and demolish all the hard work I did. Amazing how those two things can work together, huh?

Well, after about 6 weeks of going to work out three times a week for an hour, I was feeling so much more productive. I had more energy, was sleeping better and my confidence in myself and looks was growing by the day. 10 weeks later and I have lost right at 15 pounds! I am currently wearing a pair of jeans I haven’t worn in about 2.5 years, they’re a little snug, but that is just more motivation.

Now this is all coming from someone who is VERY UN-self-motivated. There is no way I could have done this on my own. That’s why all those past resolutions failed miserably. I am not someone who can go to the gym and workout for an hour. I am not someone who can lace up a pair of shoes and run around the neighborhood. I need someone to hold me accountable, to tell me what to do and where to do and how to do it. And I know, Leslie, our instructor doesn’t keep tabs or that she would EVER think badly of any of us, but if I don’t go to class I feel guilty or that I’ll let her down or something. That’s the people-pleaser part of me showing. But it’s what helps motivate me. Trust me there are days when I don’t want to have to load up the kids and all of their stuff plus everything else I need to go to class, but as soon as I get there it is totally worth it.

Did you make a resolution to take better care of yourself this year? How do you keep yourself motivated to keep going?


Laine Moses is a stay-at-home-Mom to Henry and Lucy.

No comments:

Post a Comment