Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Extracurriculars Equal Extra Work for Mommy


Evidently when you have a four year old you are thrown into the world of mandatory extracurricular activities.

I know my child doesn’t have to play soccer or take gymnastics lessons but I obviously have a hard time telling her no.

That said, as a full-time working mother of two our life only works on a schedule and I’m quickly learning that our life of busy is just beginning. My family’s routine is a well-oiled machine until things change.

With each change I get a little better at my juggling routine. In fact, I’m multi-tasking now. I’m sitting in the observation room at the gym while my daughter takes gymnastics.  Every week when we come to gymnastics I sit here for 50 minutes wondering if this activity is “worth it.” I question my decision on this gym, this day/time, and I question if my daughter truly enjoys it. When we leave the gym I ask my daughter if she had fun. It’s important to me that she enjoys this activity; otherwise we’ll move on to something different.

Along with gymnastics my daughter plays soccer on a city league. In her second season now, Lily has become quite the player. She seems to really enjoy soccer practice, making new friends, and scoring goals during the game. I’ve realized that in the short time Lily’s played soccer she’s improved her balance, she has more endurance when running, and she has unstoppable confidence.

The joy of hearing Lily’s excitement when she discusses performing a cartwheel or scoring a goal at soccer makes the sacrifice of juggling more than (at times) I can handle all worth it.

How do you decide what extracurricular activities are worth it?


Mindy Seals works in the information technology division at Texas Health Resources and is balancing work, married life and raising two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment