Monday, July 23, 2012

Meatless main dish



As a registered dietitian I often am asked what I eat. And now that I’m pregnant with twin girls I get that question even more frequently.

So, what am I eating this week? 

Well, let’s see.  I’ve developed this weird food aversion since starting my second trimester (nothing too serious but I thought the first trimester was supposed to be miserable. Why am I NOW I starting with the weird food things?)  It isn’t a real aversion I would say, I’ve just become really, really picky.  Which is SO strange for me- the girl that will eat everything you put in front of me- or at least try it, anyway. 

So, it has become fairly difficult to judge what I will or won’t want at the moment.  Last night my husband was working, leaving me at home to fend for myself for all meals. 

I had seen a version of a Greek Salad in one of my cooking magazine for this month- boasting the serious use of fresh herbs. If there ever was a best time of year to start attempting to go meatless once or twice a week, this is the time to do it.  Unique and not so unique produce and fresh herbs are booming and at peak of freshness this time of year! 

I took advantage of it with this salad.  Aside from the fact that it took all of 8 minutes to throw together (chopping included) it is preggo belly friendly with the use of heart healthy fats found in the olive oil and lemon juice dressing, lean plant based protein from the chickpeas (used organic- less sodium) and kept it safe by making sure my Feta cheese was pasteurized.  

I seasoned with just a touch of salt, but really focused on getting flavor by using three different kinds of fresh herbs, such as dill.  Too much added salt can cause increase in blood pressure- a risk all pregnant women have due to the mega increase of blood volume.

It even hit the spot a second time for lunch today – not an easy feat for this preggo lady…

Greek Chickpea Salad
Ingredients
1 (15-ounce) can organic garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained 
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved 
1 large cucumber, seeded and chopped 
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped 
1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped 
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped 
1/3 cup (about 2 ounces) pasturized feta cheese 
1/3 cup pitted black olives, sliced 
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest 
2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt 
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 

Instructions
In a large bowl, combine first 8 ingredients. Add in lemon zest, juice, olive oil and toss to combine. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve chilled 

Nutritional Information: 4 servings (1 ¼ cup, each)
Calories: 198; Fat: 10 g; Carbohydrate: 17 g; Fiber: 4 g; Protein: 10 g; Sodium: 515 mg

Amber Massey is a dietitian with the executive health program at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth and Soon-to-be-Mom to twin girls due in December.

1 comment:

  1. So healthy food to prepare this holiday season, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete