Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Power of Aunts and Uncles


Over Father's Day, two of my brothers offered to take the kids to Six Flags, which allowed my hubby and me to watch a movie that contained no cartoons. Of course, I took them up on their offer.

Both my brothers are not married and don't have kids of their own. My two kids are the only small children in our immediate family, making them the prince and princess of our gatherings. We have extended family with children their age, but this relationship is special.

My kids love their "Tios" (uncles in Spanish). To them, these guys are oversized playmates. And I think my brothers love being able to revert back to being children. The four of them share a special bond, one that makes me giggle. H. knows she has her uncles wrapped around her little fingers and T. understands that while Mom and Dad's word is law at home, the Tios might be more flexible.

I look back on my relationships with my uncles and aunts, and I always enjoyed knowing that I had a big, extended family. They were the grown ups, besides my parents, who would cheer me on, lend an ear and provide advice (solicited and unsolicited.) I hope my kids can look back on this time with them fondly.

For now, my kids will enjoy the benefits of being the only two nieces and nephews to their fun-loving uncles. I know they will take advantage of every Six Flags outing, ice cream run or trip to the park.

When they got back from the Six Flags outing, my brothers were exhausted. One of them commented about how the kiddos were running them in circles. They were more than ready to hand them back.

Thank you Edward and Jacob (yes, their names are really Edward and Jacob--no relation to the Twilight series.) I'm glad you guys are such an active part of our lives.


Reace Alvarenga-Smith is a Mom of two in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.


No comments:

Post a Comment