Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Cleaning out the empty nest

I know that summer is almost upon us but I am a little slow.  Spring Clean is a yearly ritual for many of us.  There is that satisfying feeling that I have after the annual clean is complete.  There is no pleasure during the clean and it comes only after much effort and planning.  To make this yearly project more manageable I make a list and love to check it off. 

There is one part of spring cleaning that I don’t have a grasp on: the children’s rooms.  I have six children whose ages range from 39-28.  I can’t believe that they still want me to keep many of their childhood items in place.  I love the fact that their idea of home is for eternity but I am ready to move on.  I have decided that each one will get one large box of memorabilia that will remain in a safe place.  I believe this is fair, can you agree with me? 

I now have 10 grandchildren and one great grandchild, and if I don’t get a handle on the first generations belongings then I will have a museum of antiques before long.

In your empty nest, how do you handle which childhood items stay or go?

Sherrie Martin is the Labor & Delivery/ARTS Manager at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Plano and a Mom of six.

No comments:

Post a Comment