Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The End of “Actually”

My daughter turned eight years old last month and along with her new age came this new sense of omniscient wisdom.

As her mother, I have always encouraged her to believe in herself and exercise her self-confidence, but never thought my words would be used against me. The battle of the wills, as of lately, is proving to be more than my patience can handle.

I am okay with an occasional “did you know” conversation, but recently they’ve turned into an everyday thing and usually begin with her informing me that I am misinformed about something. It always begins the same. I make a statement and moments later I hear this little voice; “actually Mommy”… and let the corrective action begin!!

We’ve had our share of refresher courses in manners and have talked about the dangers of being a “know-it-all” and still…actually finds its way into most of our conversations. A friend of mine suggested subtracting from her allowance each time she displays this behavior, but so far this hasn’t proven to be helpful either.

I’d really like to know if this is just a phase or if I’m looking at a more permanent situation?


Nikki Hall-Branch is a Communications Coordinator at Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Fort Worth and determined Mom to one equally determined daughter.

1 comment:

  1. I am a mother of four kids and I have come to the realization that kids go through word phases just like regular phases. It's usually not the words that we would like them to use. My kids went through words like "what tha" I was just waiting for a bad word to come out with it. Or the words "dang" "whatever". My three year old boy uses the word "actually" as well. My six year old girl is using the saying "By the way" right now. I truly believe these are phases and it's part of them learning grammar and trying to put words together the right way. My husband and I stop them and ask them to define the phrase or word they are using and talk to them about it and it might slip again here or there but it's not an every response thing now. Good luck with it oh and my kids inform they learn these words on t.v Lovely t.v :(

    ReplyDelete