Friday, October 7, 2011

Things We Do

It's no secret that when you become a parent, you've signed on for certain things: middle of the night feedings, searching out monsters in the closet or under the bed, getting puked and pooped on. There are endless smiles and giggles, stories and lullabies, and hugs and kisses. As the children get older, there are family jokes, traditions, stories they read to you instead of the other way around, and a multitude of "firsts."

But what about the things you don't remember signing on for? What about things like baby blues (or worse), constant worry and second-guessing your every decision? What about the moments that make you so proud you really do think you're going to burst? Do you remember signing on for constantly having an annoying theme song in your head because it is your Angel's faaaaaaaaaavorite show EVER? Do you remember signing on for shaving your legs at the kitchen sink because your baby needs to finish her breakfast so you can get out the door, but she won't let you out of her sight? (I think this might be my favorite, and no, it wasn't me. Thank you, Cris, for letting me use that story!) Do you remember agreeing to bring forgotten undergarments up to your daughter after her drill team practice before school in the morning? More than once? (Thanks, Mom!)

What are your best (or worst) "I don't remember signing up for this" parenting stories? I'll get us started: I was raised in a household of girls (my poor dad—even the dog was female), and not particularly athletic girls, either. Our oldest son plays baseball (have I mentioned that before?), and he needed a new jock strap and cup. So, there I stood in the aisle at Sports Authority, staring at a wall of jock straps and cups, as my husband asked, “so, what size should he get?” (as if I’d have the slightest clue). He’s the Dad; don’t Dads just know these things? I stared at him and shrugged, holding my breath to keep from giggling uncontrollably.

Now, it’s your turn!

Julie Daneman is wife to Bryan, Stepmom to Jacob and Caleb, and Mommy to Sam. They are a boisterous, loving, happy interfaith family.

No comments:

Post a Comment