Monday, April 4, 2011

iWork iTeach iPlay iMom

So, after months of waiting, planning and dreaming, the day of the big arrival was finally here. It didn't come with labor pains or wrapped in a blue and pink-striped blanket. But there was a burst of adrenaline nonetheless as the whole family piled in the car and my husband rushed me across town to pick up the little package I'd waited for so long: my iPad.

I know, I know. Silly for a grown woman to get all worked up over an electronic device. But I have visions you see - visions of this little 1.3 lb.- wonder changing my life. I'll get in better shape 'cause I can entertain myself while I walk on the treadmill. I'll be more organized at work and home 'cause I can keep all my to do lists in one spot. I'll be a better mom 'cause I can more easily keep a journal for my daughter (since the hard copy one I started the day I found out I was pregnant, and kept so well the first year, only gets updated with major milestones now). And teach her things with educational apps. And entertain her during otherwise-challenging moments. I'll be able to tap back into my lost creativity - you know, write a novel or make a movie or something.

As we got closer to the FedEx station, a little apprehension started to creep in. Not unlike the feeling one might get the day before a first date with a long-time crush. Because you know, even if it's a great date - and he's a great guy - eventually you're going to be reminded that there's no such thing as a perfect boyfriend.

So yes, as excited as I am, I know my iPad may not change my life quite as much as I envisioned. But then again, you never know. I did read Winnie the Pooh to my daughter from my iPad at naptime today (she enjoyed turning the pages just like a real book). And I'm typing this post from the comfort of my bed - on my iPad of course.

Can you share some great mom apps? Do you have a favorite tool or gadget that helps you in your role as mom?

Amy McCall is a Marketing Manager for Texas Health Resources and Mom to a four-year-old daughter.

Opinions of the author do not represent those of Texas Health Resources. This post is not intended to promote Apple iPad, or any other device. 

2 comments:

  1. Great tips: Thanks for sharing this post. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new iPad. There are a ton of apps out there to choose from, some better than most. I'm addicted to Words With Friends, love BlogShelf to read my favorite blogs, RecipePad for my recipe manager, and FlipBoard for research and twitter links.
    Tina @ Tech Tools 4 Mom

    ReplyDelete