Thursday, September 16, 2010

Through a child's eyes

I came across this "Moment of Reflection" radio recording we did with Texas Health Resources a few years ago. It still makes me smile. How can it be that seven years has already flown by? The 4-year old mentioned here is now 11 and in junior high. Life's little milestones! I'll forever treasure this story. I have it in her baby book and on my blog. Enjoy!

I was busy planning the perfect family vacation this summer, looking at brochures for resorts, condos on the beach, a cabin in Colorado and even anticipating a trip to see family on the west coast.

Just when I thought I had it mapped out just right, I decided to ask my four-year-old daughter, Bryn, what she wanted to do for our special week. She surprised me with something I'll keep forever. She said, very seriously: "Mom, listen. I just want to get a blanket, put it on the grass in our front yard and lie down and watch the clouds go by!"

My response through tears? "You bet we can do that, and we don't even have to wait until summer vacation!"

The next time your life gets crazy or your schedule has you running, try thinking of life through the simple eyes of a child. We can all benefit from watching the clouds go by and cherishing the simple wonders of life around us.

Laura Van Hoosier

1 comment:

  1. I love the simplicity of her request and will take it to heart when planning activities for my almost two-year-old son. To him, our backyard is a playground and a park and all he needs in the way of entertainment many days.

    ReplyDelete